Wednesday 23 July 2014

What a difference a day makes! (Days 184 - 193)

Day 184 - Looking down to Holy Isle
I have to admit that today I enjoyed running in the rain, soaked as I was, and certainly not complaining about the recent sunshine, it just made a change to be cooler.  The views however, were not up to standard as the island shrouded all its scenic gems.
Day 185 - Looking down to Holy Isle, take 2
I retraced my tracks today with the dogs and thought it would be a good idea to take a comparison photograph.  This 'road to nowhere' is very quiet and I actually wanted to listen to a new album on my ipod by Lewis Watson, without having to think about where I was going.  I have to say I like the album.
Day 186 - Leggy flower
The rain and humidity has made the flowers grow fast and some have gone very 'leggy'.  Others didn't survive the deluge on Saturday and my garden is looking a little shabby.
Day 187 - Frustrated Jackdaw
Over the last few days I've been plagued by a large family of Jackdaws - around 14 visit every morning at about 5.30am and make a very effective alarm clock.  They have successfully learned how to use the nut and squirrel feeders.  However I have stopped them emptying the squirrel feeder by putting a little screw on the top so that the lid won't stay open.  Hence some antics and frustration by the birds as they all had a go and couldn't solve the problem.
Day 188 - Beautiful Bowser
Perhaps I should say hansom? It must have been hot as he went in for a proper swim and he doesn't 'do' water despite being a spaniel.  All his curls get an extra kink when he's wet but I don't find him quite so cuddly - wet dog does not smell good.
Day 189 - Summer buzzin
There is nothing like the sound of bees buzzing to invoke the feelings of summer.  Hover flies, bees, wasps and robber flies all clammer on the flowers, tuning into an electrical impulse that switches off for a while after the flower has been 'serviced' so the pollinators go to another one.
Day 190 - Beach time
Most of the week the sea has been flat calm, but today there was bit of a swell and I walked this evening on the beach as it was cooler for the dogs and Watson loves a swim in the sea.
Day 191 - Heather Queen Parade
Of all the days, today the rain was torrential, for hours!  Starting just before the parade and continuing till everything finished.  But the crowds turned out with brollies and nothing was going to stop the lovely smiles of these two girls.
Day 192 - Not playing fair.
I feed them, I water them, I provide warm water in winter and how do they repay me when I've just washed my upstairs windows?  Not happy - no doubt the sun will bake this on before I get chance to wash it off.
Day 193 - Bat wing
Today I found a brown long eared bat - sadly dead, but it did make a good photographic project for my students. Not often you get up close to these lovely creatures. And my students always come prepared for the unexpected challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment